Friday, June 8, 2007

How to Dice an Onion

Onions are possibly THE most important ingredient in the gastronomical world. They are used to flavor savory dishes from all over the world, so it is vital that you know how to use them. I know it might sound overly simple to suggest that there is a right way to cut an onion, but I'm telling you, if you don't already use it, this technique will make cooking more enjoyable for you.

1. Slice off the top and the bottom and cut the onion in half FROM TOP TO BOTTOM! Don't slice it along the equator. Now peel the papery skin off and the tough, outside layer.

2. Lay the half on its side and make slits all the way through it (again, from top to bottom). Cut all the way to the board, but not all the way through to the end. Leaving the end intact will allow the onion to hold itself together and you won't have to worry about it. Notice in the picture how I kind of curl my fingers up so they're not sticking out in the way of the knife. Once you get more than half way through, it's easier to hold it by squeezing it in between your fingers and your thumb.



3. Start slicing across the onion in the other direction until you get to the end of the slits, then drop the end flat and run your knife through it chop it up.





6 comments:

Mrs. Cropper said...

Look at you with a blog!

Kate said...

Now I just need one of those fancy knifes you use!

Taylor said...

Don't worry Kate, we'll have a day dedicated to knives.

Emily Anne said...

Tay, I've gotta show this post to Nate 'cause he always tries to intervene when I'm dicing, insisting that you showed him "the greatest" way to dice an onion...then he fumbles around with the knife and the onion for a few awkward moments before he gives up and admits, in disappointed frustration, that he's totally forgotten. He'll be so excited to find this reminder in the ether.

Jill said...

I am so excited to learn to cook via the Taylor Cropper Correspondence Course! As I try these dishes, please note that my skills are lacking and some dishes I refuse to learn until my mother-in-law passes, as she has already mastered them and I enjoy eating them when I visit her home:)

Jill said...

Used this format for cutting my onion tonight for a creamed chicken recipe over rice. The only problem was that I misread the recipe and thought it called for 1 onion grated (so I diced 1 onion because I don't know what they mean grated unless they mean grated like a cheese grater?). Well, I then reread the recipe and it called for 1 TSP grated onion, I am completely honest with you, what are they talking about?

--Oh master, please help this wretched cook:(